Becoming Your Own Health Advocate
With: Jewish Family Service (JFS) of Seattle and Temple Beth Am
On June 1st, Andrew and Esther Schorr co-moderated a lively workshop at Seattle’s Temple Beth Am called “Becoming Your Own Health Advocate,” sponsored by Jewish Family Service of Seattle. With two dozen attendees, the discussion include topics such as: how to find the right specialist; how to know when to “fire your doctor”; how to navigate on the Internet and find reputable health information; how to join an online support community…and many more. Along with the Schorrs who shared their own personal experiences with self-advocacy, participants had great personal stories as well as tips for navigating healthcare systems and advocating for their own needs.
The Patient Empowerment Network hopes to sponsor more of these informal and informational sessions as we grow. We believe that all healthcare consumers – whether a patient, caregiver, or loved one – has the need, the capacity, and the right to the very best healthcare available…through these idea exchanges we hope to both inspire and motivate others to take control of their healthcare journey.
How to Be a Powerful Patient Town Hall
On Sunday, November 15th, 2009, at a community center near Seattle, 150 doctors, nurses, patients, and family members gathered to discuss “How to be a Powerful Patient” in very practical terms. We believe, this was the first event of its kind, and an event we hope to reprise in many other cities with the help of devoted patient advocacy groups and enlightened healthcare providers and their organizations.
Many of the presentations were recorded. Listen, watch, and read them by clicking here.
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- UW Medicine Health System
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer Foundation
- Senior Services
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Greater Northwest Chapter
- Get Your Guts in Gear
- Alzheimer’s Association – Western and Central Washington Chapter
- Northwest Sarcoma Foundation
- Washington Steporosis Coalition
- I’m Too Young for This! Cancer Foundation
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Us Too Prostate Cancer Education & Support
- Gilda’s Club – Seattle
- Stroum Jewish Community Center
- Arthritis Foundation
- American Diabetes Association